Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, December 2, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM CASA LOMA TORONTO ONTARIO CANADA

A visit to Toronto often includes a trip to see Casa Loma.

It sits on a hill close to downtown Toronto. Built in 1911-1914 by Sir Henry Pellat who was an eccentric, wealthy man. He and his wife- Lady Pellat lived there brom 1913 to 1923 but the cost of the place became unbearable for them. The "castle" has a secret staircase and an underground tunnel to the stable  over a block away.

There are 98 rooms, 5 different architectural styles and a view of the city from the 300 foot tower. Top left, the billard room was a popular place after dinner.  Top right- features a view of the stables used for the horses of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada. My favourite is the bottom right- the Conservatory.You can see the outside from the full view of Casa Loma in the top postcard section. It is that rectangle part that sticks out from the main floor. What a sun room full of plants! Wouldn't any modern huge millionaire's home envy this feature? Bottom right- the Oak room wich was Sir Henry's drawing room. The panels were completed by artisans in England then shipped to Canada.
When Sir Henry and his wife could no longer afford to live there, the City took it over. Now Tourists roam on guided tours through the castle. There are many social events held there such as weddings and other fund raising functions. Once easy to book, it now has its own modern price tag. My first Prom, Grade 11 in 1967, was held there at a minimal cost. I am certain most High Schools today can no longer afford to book such an extravagant place. I visited it several times as a child in Toronto. I have photos of my girls taken on one of those summer day trip jaunts. Of course a photo of them in the Conservatory is included! The grounds are beautiful too. Flowers, bushes and trees abound! With all the modern glass towers, this whimsical site takes us to another time! If you come to Toronto, be sure to put it on your list of places to visit!
If you want a postcard featured here, email at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. Quite the Toronto attraction! I remember seeing it in the distance when I was a kid being driven by. It's on my list.

    ReplyDelete