Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, September 2, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM SAUBLE BEACH ONTARIO CANADA

Last weekend at a friend's cottage in Wiarton Ontario, it reminded me of an earlier time when the same couple invited us to the parents' cottage near Sauble Beach. This beautiful beach is close to Owen Sound- about 3 hours north of Toronto Ontario. I found these postcards I bought at the time- early 1970s.

The beach is very popular and with the Falls nearby makes a wonderful Ontario vacation. It is on Lake Huron as part of the Bruce Peninsula. On the other side of the Peninsula is Georgian Bay( Lake Huron) with its beaches- Washaga Beach the most renown. Manitoulin Island is accessible from the top end of the Bruce Peninsula or driving north to access it from  Espanola- along the Trans Canada Highway.




I received a postcard from a family member featuring the S.S. Norgoma- the ferry that took people to Manitoulin. "Dear Bub, Tante Leni and I are having a pleasant little hunting holiday here! Fine weather-beautiful scenery-pleasant surroundings. Hope everyone is well. Love, D. xxx"
It is from the mid 1960s. The postcard of Georgian Bay is very typical of the area- rock formations with coniferous trees trying to grow tall.
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment: