Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, September 16, 2012

MAKING GOOD OLD FASHIONED CANADIAN GRAPE JAM

I used to make more jams and preserves and pickles for many years. Then there were jars left in my cold cellar from year to year that were left uneaten that it just stops. Periodically I will have the urge to make something. This year it was grape jam. Adolph loves it! So on one of our trips to the country and farm markets I bought a basket of Canadian grapes.

And some cauliflower! The cauliflower was not in the jam of course!

The grapes were cornation grapes. Usually I would use concord grapes like the ones I grow in my backyard.

I actually had a few bunches to add to the grapes bought. I would have had more if Adolph had not eaten so many of them!!

I pulled out my booklet that I have had for years.

Stained, it is my little bible for preserving and making jam. It came in a box of new preserving jars I bought over 40 years ago.

Grape jam is a little more work than your average jam. Washing the grapes well, you separate the skin from the pulp-has seeds.I had my helper Adolph for the job. The pulp is boiled until it is soft enough to put it through a sieve or collander to get rid of the seeds.



When the pulp mixture has been squeeshed and squeeshed so you have all the pulp, it is added to the skins and measured. In a large pot or a jam pot, add the grapes and sugar. Two cups of grape mixture to one cup of sugar is the norm. Too much sugar will make the jam runny.

The process is to boil the mixture and sugar for about 20 to 30 minutes, skimming off the white on top until it is jam. Since I am not entering my jam in any contest, I do not mind if it is a little runny but actually this batch was a good jam texture.


Voila! Some jars of jam. Actually I made 4 and 1/2 jars with a plate for Adolph to sample. It did not last long. The jam is a little tart with the use of the cornation grapes. Concord grapes are sweeter in the jam.
Do you get the urge to make jam or pickles or a chili sauce? It is fun to have some homemade items.

1 comment: