Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, September 27, 2012

DO YOU FEEL GOOD IN YOUR OWN SKIN?

I have been doing some soul searching lately. Reviewing times in my life and feeling good about the situations I have survived along with the support and love I have given to many people. Do I feel good in my own skin? Well I do. I do not have the amount of money I wanted for my old age but I know I will survive. There are still lots of items on my Bucket List to keep me hopeful that I will do them. It bothers me though that so much is put in how much a person earns for a living and the size of house they have. Many people are maximized to their eyeballs in debt but they look good- with the leased Mercedes and huge home with little furniture! In my lifetime I have had the advantage to know and be around some very wealthy people- not the professionals like doctors, lawyers and engineers who think they are but the very wealthy. My first exposure was at age 17 on a trip to England. My sister was seeing a friend she knew from university. She wanted to see if their romance could be rekindled. Well, a family townhouse in downtown London full of 200-300 year old antiques, a driver for the Rolls and a Country Cottage in Salisbury near Stonehenge was a clear indicator of wealth. Later I discovered his father was one of the wealthiest people in England. Yes, there was a property in Scotland and Spain that was visited many times during the year. The living room at the "cottage" was three times the size of our rambling family bungalow in Richmond Hill and real servants- not a weekly cleaning lady paid under the table. Were they happier as individuals- not really but hospitable to put up with the country bumpkins from Canada. Fast forward to my husband's years in the Construction Industry and my exposure to many wealthy people again taught me to feel good about who I am. Holding my own at dinners and business affairs, knowing I could discuss any subject gave me an adult confidence to be me. There was no need to compete as I had the education and the grace to enjoy whatever events came my way. Then life happens and health issues arise and some of those wealthy people got sick like anyone else. Making it through their 50s became a challenge!  I can give a list of people I have known that did not make it to their 60th birthday! Worried about old age, they did not even finish middle age! However, we do live in a society where money seems to talk and consume some people! If you are not highly paid then what? You can not be happy with your life! You must be seen as jealous of anyone who makes more? I think not. The things that might keep me awake at night are the unfinished projects, finding the time and yes energy to do them! Sure I am looking for ways to augment my income, why not? But those projects will not make me wealthy but perhaps provide a vacation or two- remember my bucket list! I do feel good in my own skin even if it is a little wrinkled in some places! Do you feel good with who you are? Do you ever want to leave social events where money, money, money is the discussion? I know I do!

1 comment:

  1. Seven Deadly Sins

    Wealth without work
    Pleasure without conscience
    Science without humanity
    Knowledge without character
    Politics without principle
    Commerce without morality
    Worship without sacrifice

    ... Mahatma Gandhi

    ReplyDelete