Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, December 13, 2011

CELEBRATING A CANADIAN CHRISTMAS-MY FAVOURITE THINGS


Since I was a little girl there are so many things about Christmas that I love. Our Santa Claus lives in the North Pole which is still Canadian jurisdiction. So he is very Canadian. The pictures with Santa have improved over the years. Now the Canadian Postal Service-Canada Post-helps with the mail as the number of children writing to him has grown. Churches throughout the country host Christmas concerts and encourage their congregations to donate to local charities as well as the missions they support throughout the world. Most workplaces must have Holiday parties to respect the diverse population. Although they are really Christmas parties and lunches. Local Toy drives are in full force to make sure every child who wants a toy at Christmas gets one. The fact is they do not have to be Christian- any child regardless of faith, culture and creed can get a toy. Families again that can benefit from a food hamper are able to receive if in need! That is the spirit of Christmas- including others! Christians giving to others!
Reading the story of the Christ child to my grandchildren is a new tradition.
The season makes me stop and think of those near and far- the Christmas newsletter, writing to our Canadian troops, making a list of phone calls to family, sending parcels on time, sending those Christmas cards- time to connect and reconnect with everyone. This year I purged some photo albums and sent pictures to nieces and nephews of relevant pictures of them. Did I really need 40 photo albums?
I love Christmas tree lights. Especially the ones that flash! When I sit by the tree in my Family room, I feel very much at peace. My living room is my Santa room. I have Santas I have collected over the years. Because the grandchildren are little, the little breakable things are still in the cupboard. Since I want them to enjoy the house, the items that are placed throughout the room can be touched, held and good for play.


The true joy comes with the fact that there is another Christmas to enjoy. To have family to love and friends- well what more can be the blessing of the season. What are your favourite things of the Christmas season? Are you missing people? Do you need to reconnect? Take a look around you- are there people you can include in your celebrations? Tell me about your favourite things.

1 comment:

  1. The thing I like most about Christmas is seeing my grand-children opening their presents. Once in awhile you know you got someone something that they really like. Their eyes light up, they look joyful, and they can't wait to play with it. Happiness is ...

    ReplyDelete