Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, December 4, 2011

A POSTCARD FROM PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND


Prince Edward Island is one of the most beautiful islands in the world. As one of the original provinces of the Dominion of Canada, it was home to the Charlottetown Conference, 1864 where the Fathers of Confederation discussed the creation of a new country that occurred in 1867. It can be reached by plane or from New Brunswick by the Confederation Bridge.
The famous novel- Anne of Green Gables written by Lucy Maud Montgomery has its backdrop in PEI. The house featured in the postcard is supposed to be her home.
My brother Reed sent me a postcard in 1964 when he was working there.
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island- 2 X 1964- " Hi Barb: Glad to here you received the stamps. Thought if you had ever read the book Anne of Green Gables, you would recognize the picture. At the moment I am in Charlottetown, P.E.I. getting the place ready for the Queen. See you soonly. Reed C.N.T. " He addressed it to me in Ontario with ( Upper Canada) in brackets actually being historically correct. PEI of course was part of Lower Canada.
I do not remember the Queen visiting in 1964. She probably did. I do know that Prince William and Kate absolutely loved it on their visit last summer-2011. The food is great too. Not only are PEI potatoes eaten across Canada but the seafood is famous too. Any visitor loves the mussels that are readily available. The beaches are right on the ocean. Of course, the people are very friendly! Have you visited PEI? It is on my bucket list to see this wonderful island.
If you want a postcard featured here, email at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. Oct. 5, 1964 ... Queen Elizabeth visited Charlottetown, Quebec and Ottawa over eight days to attend a commemoration of meetings by Canada's Fathers of Confederation in 1864.

    ReplyDelete