Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, December 29, 2011

NANA SAYS ENJOY THOSE SCHOOL BREAKS AT CHRISTMAS

Now that the excitement of Christmas is over and the children do not go back to school for two weeks, it can be a good time to regroup as a family. Many parents also have reduced work hours and a chance to do activities with their children. It does not mean running around and shopping. Quiet ones like playing with the new toys for the little ones or having your older children teach you about your new gadgets. My Sonya is helping me with my new RIM Playbook! Close to my home there is a good hill by the library. When there is enough snow, old and young are toboganning or using a sled! Old fashioned fun. Little backyard skating rinks help the little ones practice their skating skills or even using a patch of ice found in parks would do. For the skiers and snowboarders, a chance to go to the slopes! Playing in the snow making snowmen or snow angels is also simple! A midwinter cleanup! Filtering through unused toys or items replacing with the newly acquired things. A drive to your major city, looking at the lights before the New Year when they all come down. Crafts, cookie making, a new recipe, or just watching movies together or even going out to a movie make for fun family moments. I remember enjoying the time at Christmas as a child. The break from school gave opportunities to lounge in my new jammies, read any new books and just play. As a teenager, spending time with friends and maybe a sleepover! Listening to music and dancing in my room! When my children were little, just enjoying the days off work to be with them! It can be a time of renewel before we face the rest of the winter. It is also a chance to establish some new winter routines to help enjoy a season most of us just tolerate. Children embrace snow and the joys it brings! Perhaps we can learn from them! What are some activities you do in winter? Are you enjoying the break with your children or grandchildren? Tell me your favourite winter tale!

1 comment:

  1. "I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it." Rita Mae Brown

    ReplyDelete