Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, December 18, 2011

A POSTCARD FROM OUR ARMED FORCES

Since 1991, I have been writing our members of our Armed Forces wherever they are serving in the world. After September 11th, only postcards- not closed letters or parcels were allowed to any Canadian Services members. Families, of course, could send their gifts to their loved ones.
I find the locations through the National Defense site. All mail goes to the Canadian address before it is shipped overseas. My letters printed on festive paper with the address of the location is folded in half and taped so they can be scrutinized.
Over the years the responses from some of the personnel are my treasures. Our family is always thanked and often a little personal information is shared. Knowing first hand what the mission entails is always very interesting.
From Bosnia to Timor to Afghanistan to Golan Heights to Sierra Leone to Haiti- to name a few- messages and greetings have been exchanged. Sometimes a picture is even sent. Lots of school children now send letters so their correspondence is usually answered.


Sometimes our family letter is answered because the person lived in Barrie or East York, feeling a connection to us. There is still time to send an email to our troops. Just go into the National Defense site and follow the links. If not raise a glass on Christmas Day, to honour them!
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you and your efforts to remember our forces serving overseas.

    ReplyDelete