Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, December 23, 2011

CHRISTMAS REFLECTIONS

Christmas can be a time to remember, to reflect on the past year. Our Christmas cards or emails with a newsletter of the year's events brings everyone up to date on our lives. Little traditions from our childhood can come forward into the present.
I bought some fruitcake- a little one as it reminded me of the ones my Mom would make when I was a child. Some panetone for Adolph's Italian tradition! Delicious apples and large oranges- they were regulars in our Christmas stockings. My Mom grew up in the Canadian Depression so were reminders an apple and orange were a special treat in the 1930's. Eggnog is in the fridge since my Dad always wanted a drink of it at Christmas. Vermouth is in the house as I like to have at least one drink with some lemon and ice to remember my mother-in-law Concetta. We would always have a little "toast" together Christmas Eve. I put a picture from one Christmas past on my fridge. This year it is one of Sonya and Natasha as little girls. As many Canadian traditions are included in my home- singing-christmas carols, christmas trees,  lights, stockings, Santas, reindeer, snowmen, hats, scarves, winter wonderland, church and the turkey dinner with the bread stuffing and all the trimmings! Especially cranberries from our aboriginal people's heritage!
Missing people in our lives can be honoured by all our little gestures that are significant to us but may be lost on others.
Christmas can be whatever you want it to be. Many make the effort to go to church. Or the focus is gathering at family homes!
Do you find yourself remembering? Reflecting? Thinking about others? Are you excited for the day to be here finally?

1 comment:

  1. There are lots of Christmas traditions: the decorated tree, the turkey dinner, exchanging gifts, and get-togethers with family and friends obviously head the list. Internally, we may reflect on those who are not there, whether they be members of the family or old friends. It can also be a time of gratitude for all that we now have and all that has happened to us in our lives, both in the current and in past years.

    ReplyDelete