Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, December 16, 2011

CANADIAN CHRISTMAS MUSIC

Is borrowed from many different sources. Many of the early British settlers brought the songs of the Protestant church to North America.
I love Christmas Carols. My favourite is Oh Come All Ye Faithful- Joyful and truimphant....
When I studied Latin in High School, even learnt that version- Adeste fidetes, laete triumphantes.
The story of Christmas is played out in song. Angels We Have Heard on High tells of the angels. The First Noel brings us the Shepherds and the Wise Men going to Bethlehem to see the Baby Jesus. Some songs just bring out the Joy- like Joy to the World. For me, hearing a choir with wonderful voices is such an important part of the season.
Now holiday concerts at schools and day cares must be neutral so Jingle Bells and Santa songs are okay. Rarely do the little children sing Christmas Carols. I do remember my children when in the younger grades could sing carols- Away in a Manager was popular song for them. In Kindergarten, my little Sonya belted out this song drowning out all the other children in the class!!
From the Middle Ages in England, Good King Wenceslas is a strong song telling of the generosity of the rich to the poor. Almost letting us know how the tradition of reaching out to others at this time of the year started.
Thinking of Canadian songs- there was a popular one- Granma got run over by a Reindeer- rather sick humourous if you like it. There are some French, Aboringinal and Inuit songs to sing. Some are adaptions from other songs. Like Twas on the Eve of Winter time when all the birds had fled, is a wonderful example of making it Canadian and suiting one of the original cultures here in Canada.
Christmas through song is a way of connecting with the traditions and cultures from around the world. Showing there is a Christian spirit that has prevailed worldwide. Reaching out to others in every community to celebrate the joy of the season. Inviting non-Christians to participate, like the Secret Santas at work that include everyone. So let's sing! I think I will put on some of my CDs and sing along.
What are your favourite songs? Do you enjoy the music of the season? Do you prefer the traditional songs or the new songs that are non-religious?

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the traditional music. My favourite song is Ave Maria.

    ReplyDelete