Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, August 5, 2011

THE GLENROSA FIRE TWO YEARS LATER

In the summer of 2009 it was very scary for our family when the subdivision-Glen Rosa- West Kelowna, BC needed to be evacuated for a fire. Our folks were one of the many families. We did not know where they were for four days. They lost a hedge, had parts of their siding warped and some water damage from the helicopter dropping water saving their house. Otherwise quite unscathed.  Walking up their street on a recent visit, I noticed some benches up the hill. Climbed the hill and found the commerative kiosk with the story of the fire and the tribute to the people who saved that part of the valley. There is a highway behind the kiosk. The ridge west and north of my folks' house has burnt out trees. In the picture, you can see the saw mill that was saved. All very close to the house.



I compiled many pictures and stories about the fire and made an album. It is another family story. However, it was very peaceful to view and reflect about the fire there. The view of the valley is so beautiful. Seeing the dead trees surrounding the subdivision is a reflection on how close to further destruction and possible death the area could have had. It did not. Three houses burnt to the ground, the workers saved the Saw Mill and no one died! Reflecting on life, it makes me realize other close calls we have had. Feeling blessed does not capture everything we can feel-it does come close! Have you had some close calls? Tell me your story!

1 comment:

  1. i've had several close calls during my life ... i often wonder how i ever made it to my ripe old age ... my dad used to say it all came down to fate ... when your number is called or comes up, then you go ...

    ReplyDelete