Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, September 30, 2019

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS-FAMILY STORIES HELP SELF-ESTEEM

The whole notion of telling your children and grandchildren about their family history having a ripple effect on mental health is a good thing.
How many family historians are concerned family members will just ditch their stuff?
Well the theory now is knowing about your family and where you belong in the world have beneficial mental health consequences.
The biggest buzz word is enhancing a child's self-esteem.
Go figure.
Personally my family history journey started 35 years ago. Along with knowing my ancestors and digging deeper for their stories was my therapy.
The knowledge of what my ancestors experienced gave a greater understanding of the people I knew and me.
Knowing my roots gave a calming effect to my life. Knowing those people who gave me my gene pool gave a sense of belonging.
Children need to belong. So understanding their roots, their cultural base, their family members is a good thing.
So the next time someone poo poos your genealogical endeavors bring up these points. It's good for your self-esteem and that's that!!
#familystorieshelpselfesteem#genealogicalpursuitshelpmentalh#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro3writingthosefamilyhistorystories

No comments:

Post a Comment