Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, August 5, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM TOTEM POLE LAND ( BRITISH COLUMBIA)

I found these old postcards from the early 1960's that my mother had given me.
They are depictions of totem poles created by the Kwakiuti tribe( top two) and the Bella Coola tribe(bottom two). Images of ravens, thunderbirds, beaver and eagle are images often used in Totem Poles.


The Totem Poles above are from Thunderbird Park in Victoria British Columbia. Don't they show the range and depth of Native art and creativity. The old postcard-circa 1900 shows a cradle that was used only for one baby. When finished with it, the mother would hide it in the woods.
The man in the postcard is from th Coastal Salish tribe. He is in ceremonial regalia. Head dresses and masks such as these were only used on special occasions.

A totem pole at Georgia Park- Nanaimo BC and Prospect Point- Stanley Park, Vancouver BC are some of the many places totem poles can be found. The Kwakiutl postcard is a picture taken by Edward S. Curtis, 1914. He was a photographer that took many pictures of the " North America Indian". I even have one of his large print books on my bookshelf. The picture show two masked performers in the winter dance representing hug, mythical birds. Totem poles can be found in other parts of British Columbia as well as Canada. Just visit the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto Ontario and you will find a huge one in the stairwell.
If you want a postcard featured here email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. You must have thousands of postcards! Each with a story. I think it's wonderful that you have built this collection over the years!

    ReplyDelete