Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, February 22, 2012

NANA SAYS THE DEATH OF A GRANDPARENT MEANS DIFFERENT THINGS

To each grandchild. We all have our own memories and a special place in our hearts for our grandparents. Some children have the privilege of spending more time with them. Sleepovers, summer vacations, family dinners are some of the normal family events in any family. It is emotionally very grounding to have several adult relationships as a young child- our grandparents give us that unconditional love and acceptance. Little grandchildren let the older adult play and be a child again. When a grandparent dies, a generation ahead of us starts to fall away. For some, this person could be a great-grandparent! When my own mother died at 89 and 1/2  years recently, it was endearing to hear the various stories and recollections from each grandchild- my own children and my nieces and nephews. Writing them down in the family history binders will keep them for the next generations. Who was this person- Nana to them! No matter what you call your grandmother- granma, grannie, nonna, omi- she loved you- you were part of her life and legacy. As a nana myself, being a grandparent is such s wonderful role. I know my mother would be so touched by the people in her life. Do you have a grandparent? Then reach out and give him or her a hug! Cherish the time you have and know you are lucky to have such caring people like grandparents in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely stated, Barb. I have a few good memories of Aunt May also. I'm sure everyone she knew was better for having known her.

    ReplyDelete