Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, September 29, 2010

CHILDREN OF DIVORCE

Couples divorce but children do not divorce their parents. They have a right to love both parents for the rest of their lives. Changes to the Divorce Act in Canada confirmed this concept a few years ago. As a product of divorce, the word has been a part of my consciousness for my whole life.
Aunts, uncles, siblings, brother-in-law, cousins have experienced divorce that I believe I know this subject too well. It has surrounded me. Do I like Divorce? No I do not. Is it better that children have two parents that love them? Absolutely! In my marriage, I tried very hard to make it work. I wanted my children to have something I did not. An intact family! Blended families work, step-parents work, step-siblings work. But it does cause some complications..
Divorce in the 1950's was very different than divorce today. It is more acceptable today. You are not labelled as being from a "Broken Family".
Acceptable, but equally as hard for the children. Parents separating is a loss of family, identity. The child always carries some baggage, remorse, hope for a better future. Some couples are able to talk with each other for the child's sake. However, the anger over the marriage breakdown can play out through the children. What advice can I give? Allow your child to love whoever he/she wants? Don't try to have the child take sides! Try not to say bad things about the other parent- this one is the toughest! Have you been a child of divorce? Are you with someone who is divorced and have inherited the children, grandchildren? How would you treat your children with respect and the right to love both parents?

1 comment:

  1. No doubt about it; divorce is hard on everyone involved but especially the kids.

    ReplyDelete