Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, September 5, 2010

THE ADDRESS BOOK

Over the years our address book needs changing. Our teenage friends make way for university, work mates and relatives. Moves make new additions to our books. There are new pretty books. My current ones are Friends- with whimsical sayings about friends and Angels- notations about angels. I make entries in my book now to indicate who the people are- my cousin, my parents, my insurance agent. I have had calls from families asking who I am as the loved one has passed away and they do not have a clue about me. Some members in my family have moved so many times that whole pages have crossed out addresses. Now I put a label over the name and write in the new details- much neater. Children's names are added as Christmas cards to Mr and Mrs and family seem impersonal when they have been friends for years. Do you find you forget the name of one child out of three? So it is better to include the names. I also note when someone has died, it is interesting that as time passes it is easy to forget the date. There are two address books in the house- one by the telephone and one by the computer. Many people now use the address book or contacts in their computer, telephone or other device. I still like a hard copy as the fear of a crushing system and needing to find those names and contacts would become too tedious. The address book fills a need of belonging. Here are people important to me. I know people and they know me. Do you have people in your book who have been there for years? Do you add new ones regularly? How many different ways do you keep information about your contacts?

1 comment:

  1. my address book constantly changes ... usually on-line, but backed up ... i like your system ... makes more sense is is more thorough ... maybe someday i'll also be organized :)

    ReplyDelete