Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, September 28, 2010

CELTIC ROOTS

The Celts were those strong, ferocious tribes that ruled Norhtern Europe over two thousand years ago. Their roots begin in prehistory. Their original home was the Rhine.They almost conquered Rome but were turned away. What would the history of Italy have looked like if they had won.? Celtic symbols permeate our culture. Ireland is a testomonial to that heritage. Rome never conquered Ireland so many Celtic influences were not touched. The Gallic Language which is spoken in Scotland and Ireland to this day. Other areas with Celtic influence are Wales and Manx.The Celtic Cross. Celtic drawings that wave into themselves. Celtic calligraphy. They are symbols of Celtic culture. As people migrated to other areas, Celtic influences prevailed. As can been by the Cross on an Anglican Church in Toronto. I have some Celtic roots. What about you? Do you like the art, the symbols of those people?

1 comment:

  1. I may be a little biased because some of my ancestors came from Ireland. And, I'm engaged to an Irish lass, with the surname Coyle. I also favour celtic calligraphy, especially some of their illuminated manuscripts. And, although they're not Irish, I love the celtic music of the Barra MacNeils. I suppose my 'heart is in the Highlands'.

    ReplyDelete