Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, September 2, 2010

HURRICANE SEASON

As the Maritimes braces for Hurricane Earl and what he will bring, it reminds me of a childhood memory- Hurricane Hazel. That Hurricane in 1954 was one of the worst natural disasters for the Toronto area for decades. It is the reason there are deep ditches in many parts of the GTA in case there is flooding again. My main memory at age 4 is my mother's panic and having to go to the basement. I think that is why she was always afraid of storms. I thought it was just my mother who had that phobia until my 30's when I had a neighbour who would come to my house if she was alone during a thunderstorm. Every area of the world and home here in Canada can be affected by natural disasters. Manitoba has its periodic floods, tornados that have touched down coast to coast, the terrible forest fires in British Columbia and of course many winter blizzards that rain havoc. Back to Hurricanes. We are usually unscathed by them. However, history does tell us otherwise. What is your memory of a natural disaster that impacted your life? Do you try to be prepared in case of an emergency situation?

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I remember Hurricane Hazel and trying and failing to drive back to Musselman's Lake from Scarborough. My step-father finally drove back to his parent's home in Scarborough where we spent the night. We were lucky to have made it that night because lives were lost in that area. Maybe, that's why I've been so conscious of emergency preparedness ever since. And, I know first hand the destructive power of a tornado after one went through our property near Carman a few years ago, twisting and felling huge trees in our woods like match-sticks. Now, I worry about my family whenever a bad storm is forecast for areas where they live. You can't fight Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete