Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, September 9, 2010

POMPEII-THAT ANCIENT CITY

Visiting Pompeii - near Naples/ vicino a Napoli-on one of our trips to Italy in 1991 was one of the most rewarding tours. Over 2000 years ago when the volcano Mt. Vesuvio erupted and covered the vibrant seashore city of Pompeii, it was as if time had stood still when the site was restored. It is a huge site and walking is a necessity. The streets still have ruts from the carriages that travelled along them. I had visited the forum in Rome. It was difficult to imagine how it looked in ancient times. Pompeii gave a completely different feeling. It was as if we were in a real Roman city. There were interesting houses such as the Brothel with the various sexual positions painted on panels on the wall. Some homes had the ceramic tiles still in virbrant colours. All my life I had known about Pompeii but not until the visit did I appreciate the historic significance. When I travel, purchasing relevant literature about any locales is a must. I have had many pleasurable moments reading the details about the area especially who lived there and the function of the various buildings. Are there places you have visited that surprised you? Are there places you would love to visit again? Pompeii is defnitely a site I plan to visit again if the opportunity arises.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've never had the plwasure of visiting anywhere as old or as interesting as Pompeii, that's for sure. With the exception of seeing some quite old architecture in various parts of Europe, nothing even comes close. Most of my travels have been to countries with a much shorter history. I have had a taste of ancient history, howvever, when I visited major archeological exhibits at certain museums, like the Museum of Civilization in our nation's capital. And, of course, through my readings. Who knows, though, where the future will take me. Perhaps, one day, I may get the opportunity to visit Pompeii. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete