Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, March 13, 2019

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS- DO YOU NEED TO DO DNA

I did my DNA and it is fun. Names of people that I do not know how I am linked. With a comprehensive paper trail and cited resources, I am quite sure of my roots. 34 years and counting doing family history.
With new databases, I revisit information to reconfirm the information.
Two second cousins to whom I had corresponded for many years, did DNA and now they say we are related. Of course the paper trail had proved it along with the cited sources. Good Genealogy.
I have binders full of descendants. But I have taken a step back. As mentioned in another post, I starting with me and my husband, tell our stories. My parents. My grandparents. Go slowly with the stories.
I still need to put a family tree online. I belong to Find My Past so it will be okay to start there.
Sometimes I am hesitant to share every detail with that world out there. I have connected with so many in the genealogy world, sharing as well as receiving information, photos, little tidbits of information.
DNA and all its possibilities is a good thing. I have gone to lectures and attended online webinars on the subject.
I do believe to use all resources as it makes for a fuller history. It is fun discovering new connections. But writing up all that I have which is quite huge makes me stop looking for awhile and getting those stories written.
I was fortunate when I began the journey that two family lines were taken back several centuries. Saved a lot of research.
Writing the stories and putting them here on this blog has paid off with new connections.
There is a genealogist that says to write one story weekly and at the end of the year there will be 52. Nice idea but I am aiming for one or maybe more monthly. So far not on track.
How are your genealogy journeys going?
#dnaforgenealogy#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#tellthosefamilystories#connectingwithothersdoinggeneralogy#FindMyPastisausefulsite#connectingwithsecondcousins#putafamilytreeonline#familylinesbackseveralcenturies#dnawebinars

No comments:

Post a Comment