Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, March 9, 2019

5 THINGS I LEARNT CLEANING OUT MY PARENTS' STUFF

Working along with other family members, cleaning out my parents' stuff several years ago brings back memories. It has made me more vigilant of what to do with my stuff.

1. Be prepared to discover things about your parents you did not know. When I helped with my mother-in-law's stuff I discovered she loved slips and had two drawers full of slips. My mother saved her bottom denture plate in her button box. My dad wrote love poems to my mother. There were many unfinished projects.

2. Important documents can be anywhere in the house. My mother's birth certificate was in her sewing area. Her marriage license in another drawer. So remembering to cluster important documents in one place for heirs is a must. Make sure all tins and envelopes are checked. Found the wills in the kitchen cupboard in a tin. There was pockets of bills and change in the house.

3. No one wanted the clothes, the books and many sundry items. So trips to charities with things  by one family member was ongoing.

4. Divide up the jewellery as many ways as there are children. Thus the grandchildren will have a chance to have someone from their Nana. Keep some knickknacks as there may be an interest at a future time. I kept a cup and saucer for all the girls in the family. Something from Nana.

5. Know it is emotional. So do it in small pieces. If things like letters need to be read, put them aside for another day. Some things can be kept or discarded later. Not necessary to eliminate a person's life in one go.

The major component I learnt was to give away stuff now, liquidate any collections or assets, work in small doses as your own stuff can have emotional attachments too.
#givingawayparents'ssuff#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#organizingsomeone'sstuff#importantdocumentscanbeanywhere#putyourwillsandotherdocumentsinasafeplace#findnewhomesforclothesandbooks#jewellerybelongstothewholefamily#whatwouldNanahavewanted

No comments:

Post a Comment