Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, April 8, 2013

CANADA AND VIMY RIDGE

April 9, 1917 is an important day in Canadian history. Each year I write about Vimy Ridge. During World War One, it was a significant battle in the war where our Canadians made a mark. It was important in our family history as my grandfather- Ernest Adolphus Ellis was a hero. I wrote a long note on my blog about him on April 9, 2011. My cousin, Roy Ellis added much detail in his comments. So for a longer and well written tribute by two descendants you can read that post. In France at Vimy, there is a huge monument honouring the Canadians and their efforts. For the war historian there are several websites on Vimy Ridge. It is possible to order little Vimy Ridge pins-I have several that I will give to my grandchildren. It is also a day to reflect and honour our current Armed Forces who help to keep our country safe and free. We enjoy our peace today because of them. War is not remembered to glorify it but to know that a peaceful nation had to sweat and bleed to reach an understanding that it is better to live side by side than fight. Look at Canada and the United States. The War of 1812 taught us that we were more useful as friendly neighbours than adversaries!

1 comment: