Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, March 3, 2013

A POSTCARD FROM THE MCMICHAEL COLLECTION KLEINBURG ONTARIO

As most people know, the McMichael Collection in Kleinburg is one of my favourite places to visit. It is about 20 minutes from  Richmond Hill. Any visitors to my home are given the opportunity to visit this amazing gallery. The Group of Seven, Tom Thomson, Emily Carr and other Canadians artists are the main attraction.
Nestled amongst pines, the gallery is very reflective of an Ontario countryside where many of the Group of Seven painted. The picture featured is by A.J. Casson-Shore Patten-date unknown.

The postcard at the top is a typical First Nation's painting. The artist-Norval Morrisseau has been featured across Canada. This exhibit is Artist's Wife and Daughter- 1975. Another Group of Seven artist- Franklin Carmichael painted Mirror lake 1929.


The top card is The Red Maple 1914 by A.Y.Jackson and the  bottom card is by Tom Thomson who painted Summer Day circa 1915 .
Art cards and books are a wonderful way to remember and revisit art. As with other galleries no photos are allowed. With winter winding down, it was a fun way to think about the spring/summer jaunts that can be made. Although the gallery is open year round and does provide schools and groups a wonderful outing, the warmer months allow for long walks on the grounds with the opportunity to visit the outdoor sculpture exhibit. Yes pictures are allowed outside.
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. The Group of Seven and Norval Morrisseau are among my favourite Canadian artists. I have a special limited edition of NM's and originals and prints by other native artists. Art fills the soul.

    ReplyDelete