Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, March 31, 2013

A POSTCARD FROM THE ART GALLERY OF ONTARIO

Visiting art galleries with family is always a fun event for me. So two Sundays ago, along with my daughter and granddaughter, a visit to the Art Gallery of Ontario was a fun outing. Leaving the car at the Finch station, we took the subway to Dundas Street where we hopped the streetcar to the Art Gallery.

The Vicarage at Neunen by Vincent van Gogh around 1884 is the top picture and Charing Cross Bridge, Fog 1902 is the bottom picture.

The Thomson Family donated a 50 million art collection to the Gallery. Ken Thomson was an avid art collector. The general public have the benefit of viewing this extensive collection.

There are two Cornelius Krieghoff paintings. The one at the top-Breaking up of a Country Ball in Canada, Early Morning, 1857 and the Tlingit Shaman's Amulet, c. 1840 the card on the bottom are two of the many art pieces in the Thomson Collection.

The Art Gallery has many pictures by the Group of Seven. Franklin Carmichael's North Shore, Lake Superior, 1927 and Tom Thomson- Bateaux, Summer 1916 are the featured postcards. It should be noted Tom Thomson  the painter is no relation to the billionaire Thomson family.

Emily Carr's Indian Church, 1929 is featured. Many times there are special exhibits at the Gallery. The two other postcards are by Diego Rivera a Mexican artist whose works were at the AGO recently.

My favourite painting at the Gallery is Paul Peel's After the Bath.

This is actually the framed art card that has been in my pink bathroom for many years. Although I can not afford expensive art, it is still feasible to buy art cards and postcards to enjoy art.
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this wonderful post!? What a great collection of images and words to go with them!

    More please ...

    ReplyDelete