Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, November 20, 2012

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

I learnt to sew from my mother. She would sew an item, check it then take her razor blade and rip out the seam. So I would use the trial and error method until I started to think about it and decided if I measured the item first then sew perhaps I would only need to sew it once! Voila! It worked. And I bought a seam ripper- a very cheap sewing tool just in case I did need to remove some stitches or hem some pants or a skirt. By taking our time with items in our lives and planning, thinking, measuring it saves lots of aggravation in the long run! New furniture, for example, may not fit the rooms you have in your home! So map out the room before buying! Where to hang a picture on a wall? Measure first! In my first homes there would be many holes behind each picture I hung- now one! When I knit a sweater for example, I knit both sleeves at the same time thus saving time of measuring and checking tension etc. Every knitter has had the experience of one sleeve being slightly longer than the other. Counting stitches and marking them down on a piece of paper is a simple method. Writing in our lives!  It has become so easy for High School and University students with spell  and grammar check. However, it is still a good idea to have a dictionary and thesaurus handy to know the meaning of words. A little concise book of English grammar can be another tool for doing it right! Is it affect or effect? What is the noun and what is the verb? What is an adjective and an adverb? Take an inventory of how long it takes to complete any task. Then dissect the steps involved and you may discover there are ways to eliminate some of those steps. Did you take three steps forward and one step backwards? Perhaps! Each new task takes time to learn how to do it but over time it becomes a skill. So the trial and error method may get you started until you determine your own -- I will do it right the first time! Have you had tasks in your life that are second nature now? Do you find ways to reduce the number of steps it takes to complete a task?

1 comment:

  1. Pretty good, Barb. No typos in this post. You must have checked it over carefully before you published it ... :)

    ReplyDelete