Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, November 4, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM SCOTLAND

Anyone who has been to Scotland, say it is one of the most beautiful places they have ever seen. My stepdad's parents- my grandparents liked to visit Scotland every couple of years when they were able. They would take a ship over and stay for a couple of months with cousins. Aberdeen was the birthplace of one of them. I think it was Granddad.

The postcards are from the 1960s.

In September 7, 1963- Granma wrote: "This is a card for your collection Having very fine weather and enjoying ourselves. Hope everyone well. Tell Mom to write. Love to all. Grandad and Granma"



There were family friends who wrote often. Hugh Fraser had been a boarder with us from about 1955 to 1957. He worked on the ground crew with Trans Canada Air Lines which later became Air Canada. After he married he returned to Scotland to work but kept in touch with our family for decades. I think he obtained a job with British Airways. I believe they had two children.

October 7, 1961, Hugh and Ishbel wrote- "As you can see we arrived safe. My plane 2 1/2 hours late. Hugh's 25 minutes early. Going around all the country spots like two Canadian tourists. Weather not bad, not keeping us in anyway. See you all soon. Ishbel and Hugh"

September 7 1968 Hugh and Ishbel wrote-" Having a lovely "caravan" holiday here in Aberdeen. It's not Hawaii but we've had terrific weather with lots of sunshine. We both rather like Aberdeen and wouldn't mind staying further. Maybe we'll see you next year. Love Ishbel and Hugh"


The large postcard and the one along the margin are postmarked from Paisley, Renfrewshire. Again from Ishbel and Hugh. The large card, from  June 11, 1962 illustrates the beauty of Scotland. From the script on the card it says- "The Kyles of Bute, Argyll. This beautiful waterway separates the Island of Bute from the mainland. In this picture a Clyde pleasure steamer is seen rounding Buttock Point at the entrance to Loch Ridden." Th couple seemed to love this area of their home country. The top card is from Loch Ness.

A friend from  work at the time at CNIB wrote me a card in 1984.
"2.2.84 Hi Barb! Touring by car with Mary. We have been on a few Mt. walks- very beautiful scenery. Today we saw Loch Ness (no " Nessie") and Ben Nevis. Ging to a castle at Nairn tomorrow-then to a theatre at Pitlochry to see a play. Scotland looks just like the postcards. See you. Love Adele"

My folks visited Scotland a couple of times. I have dozens of cards from their visit. Perhaps another Postcard from Scotland will be warranted at a future date.
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. For some strange reason, I've always been drawn to Scotland. Maybe, someday I'll get to go there.

    ReplyDelete