Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, March 25, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM SAINTE-MARIE AMONG THE HURONS ONTARIO CANADA

One of my favourite places to take visitors to Canada is Sainte-Marie among the Hurons (1639-1649). It is a 17th century replica site.
Many years ago a living re-creation of the Jesuit mission was built. It was Ontario's first European community. The First Nations tribe of Hurons lived prolifically in an area north of Toronto called Huronia.
In 1649, the Iroquian nation fought and destroyed the mission and almost decimated not only the Hurons but other nations such as the Neutrals and Tobaccos. It is located near the quaint town of Midland, Ontario which houses the Martry's church which Pope John visited during one of his many visits to North America.

The Jesuits wrote a document called The Jesuits and Allied Documents which gives great insight to many of the First Nations' people. Of course, they were trying to convert them to Christianity.
You can see from one of the postcards the corn growing. Corn was a major staple of the Hurons. Near my home here in Richmond Hill, Ontario there are a few corn fields. It is a reminder of the people who lived here prior to us. Corn continues to be a huge crop for North Americans as it is a product in so many of our foods. I just love corn on the cob which ripens in August here in Ontario. There have been some archeological sites found near my home as well.

No one sent me a postcard from this quaint and beautiful site. I know I have sent some to people.

If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting place.

    Are you anticipating another postcard in the mail soon? Maybe, one from Panama?

    ReplyDelete