Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, April 23, 2011

EASTER EGG CANADIAN STYLE

The Easter Egg has pagan roots
and in most cultures around the
world it is a symbol of rebirth.
For some there is an association with
fertility. Even the word Easter was from the Saxon language- Eostre. They brought their traditions involving eggs, chicks and rabbits to Britain in the 5th centruy AD. All items that are prevalent during the Easter season today.
As a child, we would boil eggs and then decorate them with crayons or markers. Small eggs were hidden throughout the house to find on Easter morning. There was an Easter parade in Toronto in the1950's. I remember getting an Easter bonnet to wear
to it.

Sometimes a new Easter outfit or dress to match would be a gift. Then it seemed special to go to church with the new outfit to hear the Easter story. Many different cultures throughout the world have their own customs around eggs and how they decorate them.
Now Adolph and I hide some chocolate Easter eggs for the grandchildren to collect in their colourful baskets. They have an egg hunt at their own homes before coming to our house for Easter dinner. Last week I asked my granddaughter if she wanted the Easter bunny to come to our house to hide eggs. She said yes. So I asked if she wanted me to email him to ask him to come here. She agreed! There are some books on the coffee table to read about the real significance of Easter. A nice blend of religious and fun things to do! What do you do for Easter? Do you have fun with your children or grandchildren? Do you have any special traditions with eggs?

2 comments:

  1. We are celebrating Easter Canadian style on Monday this year because I'll be at work most of the day on Sunday. I was looking for some Canadian style Easter ideas when I stumbled across your blog!

    I like how you posted the meaning of the eggs. Not everybody realizes this is a symbol of fertility and new life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please visit again as your comments are very welcome. Do enjoy your Easter Monday!

    ReplyDelete