Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, April 15, 2011

THE MOTHER OF THE BRIDE

Has an important job to support the bride through the journey of planning the wedding and giving emotional support. As I approach my 40th anniversary, I remember my mother wanting the wedding to be her way. My favourite colour was purple but she did not like purple so the bridal party could not wear that colour. I wanted different music at the church but she wanted- Here Comes the Bride- or she would not attend. Some family members were excluded because she did not want them there. When my daughters were married in 2002 and 2006, I was not the control freak mother that many brides have. Actually, with my oldest daughter, we would be going to halls, stores looking for ideas and planning, that many people started to say, you are such a nice mother! Finally, after hearing the comment several times, I asked what are the other mothers doing? I would be met with rolling eyes and you wouldn't believe the nonsense that goes on! For me, there was a budget that my girls were very conscious to follow and able to find the deals and adhered to it. Both their weddings were beautiful events! If you are planning a wedding in your family, there does not need to be fighting and controlling. Are you a control freak mother- well let it go! Can you trust the decisions and ideas your daughter wants to make? Can you work well with the groom's family? When the day comes, you will be the one keeping things on track- probably quite gorgeous in your own outfit but able to stay in the shadows for the bridal party to shine. As a last comment- both my girls selected my mother of the bride outfits for their weddings and if I should say so- I looked quite good for my age. Good luck with any bridal planning or any large events you are doing!

1 comment:

  1. It's so much simpler being the father. You just have to say 'yes' to everything and write a cheque.

    ReplyDelete