Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A GRIEF OBSERVED

Is the title of a book by C. S. Lewis. It is a classic book on the journey of grief. Lewis as we know was the author of many books such as the Narnia Chronicles-The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. His marriage and love of his life- his wife Joy died and created a huge gap in his whole being. His book on his journey after her death has been quoted in every modern grief books. He really said it all. His book opens with the following quotation," No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid. The same fluttering in the stomach, the same restlessness, the yawning. I keep on swallowing. At other times it feels like being mildly drunk, or concussed. There is a sort of invisible blanket between the world and me. I find it hard to take it in." Of course he is describing the somatic reactions of grief from his core. His book has been used often by me and I think I have given away several copies of it to various people in my career. I recommend it as it is an easy read and says it all about grief. When someone you love dies, there is lots of advice and many books written on the subject and grief work needing to be done- I have several on my shelves. What to do, how to think, what not to do etc. But Lewis just talks about his painful journey of losing his beloved wife that stands the test of time. Grief is such a painful process for us all. Have you read Lewis' book in a time of need? If you are grieving, I recommend it? Have you used another resource that has helped with your personal journey?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this book of his. Interesting that he died on 22 November 1963, the same day that President John F. Kennedy was assassinated and on the same day that another famous author died, Aldous Huxley. And, that, subsequently, a book was written about the the coversation that these three famous men had after they died. Lewis certainly led an interesting life and, through his writings, made many people think about themselves and their role in life.

    ReplyDelete