Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, December 19, 2019

MY FIRST DEATH AND DYING CASE-RENE

As a Social Work student studying for my Masters at the University of Toronto in 1974, my placement was at St. Michael's Hospital. I was interested in grief work and dealing with dying patients. As a family we had dealt with the death of my father-n-law from ALS the month previously.

I was assigned 3 patients that I carried for several months in my placement.

One of the patients was a wonderful woman named Rene. French-Canadian from Northern Ontario. The day I met her she had said good-bye to her daughter who had to go back home for school. Her husband had MS and was in a care facility up north. Family caring for her daughter.Yes sad.

An incurable cancer.



She was one of the sweetest person I can ever remember.

We had many chats and I did my counselling thing with her.

One day I was in her room and the snow was gently falling. The big flakes. From her hospital bed, she and I watched the flakes. She said how much she loved the snow and to watch it fall. Yes it was pretty from her room. It made me stop to realize the simplest things in life can be the best. She found something in that dismal environment to bring her some joy. I know she taught me so much about the dying process.

Over the years that notice of snow falling has reminded me of her. I wonder how her daughter has done. Rene was so proud of her.

Today as I looked out the family room doors, the snow was gently falling. Yes Rene came to my mind. The lesson taught to appreciate what is in your immediate world.

Gently falling snow is pretty!! Thank you Rene!!
#gentlyfallingsnow#gentlyfallingsnowispretty#rememberingpatients#socialworkershavefondmemories#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro

No comments:

Post a Comment