Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, October 31, 2019

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS- WEBINARS GIVE GREAT IDEAS

Since retiring, one of the luxuries has been the webinars online.

I have learnt so much from the many I have watched in the last year. I will confess the ones on DNA often have my head spinning. I also wonder what does one do with all the extra connections.

In my family history binders, I have so many family branches and lines completed so with DNA links it just expands them.

I am glad that many still use paper along with digital.

I am trying to put so many documents to Evernote.
I try the advice of having more than one place for the information. Thus the reason I forward as much information as possible to others.

So many of the webinars gave that advice.

I am writing those family history stories. I gave up the idea of a family history book. New information comes along so can be added to the stories.

I try to watch one webinar a week. So if the topic is really of interest, I try to print the handout. Otherwise I just take notes. I have always found that I retain more if I write as I go.

The links are so useful. I have found other databases in the talks that I did not know existed. I have used Early Canadiana Online but there are others that have digital references that can be used.

The family stories need some meat. The basic data is there but the story behind the data is so useful.

Heritage Legacy Series are amazing. There are many free webinars. If you purchase the subscription then the whole library can be accessed.

The webinars are always archived so can be accessed again or as often as needed.

Genealogy sure has developed over the years. I love webinars and databases. Most of all I like the idea I can do it from my home computer.

Accessing archives and libraries let's me list what I need from them before I venture to the physical location. Like the Toronto Archives. I am making a nice file of information I want before I head downtown at some point. My local library up the street has a Canadiana room so my file for there has all the references I want to see.

For the new, avid or experienced genealogist, webinars can only enrich your life.
#webinars#watchingwebinarsformewideas#writingthosefamilystories#HeritageLegacyseriesaregreat#earlycanadianaonline#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro

No comments:

Post a Comment