Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, December 5, 2018

AGEISM-ARE YOU GUILTY!

Aging happens on a daily basis. We all get one day older. Somewhere along the line, being older makes a difference. Yes even fit Seniors can be slowing down. Not a problem. If it takes longer to be done then it gets done. However, not a problem.But there are seniors that run marathons.
Creativity does not end at any age. Older people can be creative or recycle old ideas and make them new again.
Being judged for being older is insidious. In my last years at my workplace, more than one younger person would ask me out of the blue- when are you retiring! My retort was usually do I look old today.
People of all ages are useful. I see it in my grandchildren. When they see Nana and Granpa, they see loved ones. They want to share. They want to talk to us. If little children do not judge why do others.
Being older can make one become invisible, a ghost. As an older woman, I can be well dressed and attractive but do not get seen. Just an old woman!
Do you listen? Well you should. There is so much wisdom and life experience with older people. No the ones that always say- in my day! Today is my day not some years ago. I have knowledge and experience that counts for today. So do your grandparents, your parents, your relatives, your older work colleagues.
I tired of meetings and rounds where my years of clinical experience was not valued. So now writing about it brings a different dimension.
So what to do about ageism. For us Seniors, just do not tolerate it. Speak your mind! Complain if necessary. But remember to give back and listen and be respectful. Lead by example!

                                                AGEISM-ARE YOU GUILTY? 
#ageismareyouguilty#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#olderpeople#seniors#nananadgranpaareloved#ageismintheworkplace#respectshouldhappenateveryage#youngandoldneedrespect#creativityatanyage










No comments:

Post a Comment