Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, March 15, 2016

WHEN YOU HAVE LITTLE IN COMMON

Do you ever find yourself at an event or work or social gathering and realized that you have little in common or interest with those around you? Always important to be polite and friendly but do you ever feel really bored inside! Craving for some conversation with some common ground. Being  a good listener- which I am really helps!! Those who are talking rarely know that the subject has little interest for me.  The things and subjects I love usually bore the crap out of people so I  rarely share what I am doing, writing or reading. Do you know how often I am compared to some one's mother or grandmother or even great-uncle as if what I am doing is so out there and old fashioned? And so boring to them!! As if I do not know how to use a computer, apps, upload and download and talk the geek language of modern times! Heh, what's up? So I prefer not to share! And just continue doing what I have been doing for years! Different strokes for different folks is a good English expression! Last week being Social Work week it was a great time to hang out with my fellow Social Workers which I have lots in common. Being a secondary profession in the hospital it is hard for others to relate to our discipline. Some agencies are all Social Workers so no problem there. Not having to explain why I am thinking or doing what I am doing is so refreshing. Usually I just like to say- I charted my involvement so whoever cares to read my notes can! I have had so many tough cases in my career that I don't need to toot my own horn!! When meeting someone new, I like the person to share what he or she wants to share. I am not an interrogator as some people can be with new people. The old trick of trying to put them in their place. Behind me in life. We all have a place!! One could say it is an age thing! Not really. As a child, I hated gossip and talking about other people with the criticism that comes with it. It got me in trouble as I would point out it was not nice! As an adult , I try to stay away from those kind of people as much as possible. If I know some juicy gossip, well I just keep it to myself. Knowledge is power but being mean and nosey is just being mean and nosey. So you probably can understand why many people can be boring to me. Talk about a book you read, a movie you saw, a novel idea, a craft you are making, something whimsical or fun but please not how much you weigh or that in your culture you have no wrinkles or criticizing every one's food or bad habits. Yes share the photos you take anywhere and everywhere. I love my grandchildren but I do not need to compare with others as every one's grandchild is special.  If someone is sick do they deserve to be sick due to their bad habits? Show some care and compassion! The marathon runner who is so healthy can die at the end of the race! So then who would you blame!! Getting along with people of all ages is my speciality! However, lately I find myself wanting to be with others who have more things in common with me. For example,  Adolph and I have found that interest in food. His blog on food, day trips about food, recipes researched and of course I get to take pictures has added some spice to our lives and of course fun and good eating. When lucky I can find some historical interests out there as the same time as we are having a  food outing. Family time with the children, spouses and grandchildren are always fun- lots in common there! No real competition with us all- just quality family time! Writing- one major project finished with volume 2 and 3 progressing and another subject totally different still in the works. Short genealogical articles are in progress too! Almost finished reading another Giller prize finalist. Two books on how the Celts created Canada to be read very soon- been perused. Where to go for some new photos? Genealogical Conference to attend the beginning of June will be welcomed. Can't wait to be with people who really love, understand and have advanced skills in genealogical research. So anyone out there with common interests let me know. I am waiting for a lengthy conversation with you. A change is as good as a rest so they say but common interests are good too. So what to say and do when you have lots in common- then the sky is limit!

No comments:

Post a Comment