Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, March 29, 2016

WHAT'S THE ALTERNATIVE? ANSWERS TO COMMON WOES!!

While ironing my outfit for work, it occurred to me that complaints in life can be answered by "What's the Alternative?" One day last week, a male family member was complaining about old age in reference to his family member. My response was what's the alternative- your family member would be dead! So what would you want? My husband is an amazing cook but the kitchen looks like a war zone when he is finished. As the sous chef, it is my job to clean it from one end to the other. Sometimes it is very annoying as I would rather use my spare time differently. However, good food, good company outweighs the annoyance! My little grandchildren visit and love to do crafts. So of course my neat piles of coloured paper, stock paper and other supplies are usually in disarray when they leave. An hour or so of cleanup or reorganizing but what's the alternative- to nag them, don't touch, leave my stuff alone or allowing their creative process! Their visits and overnight sleepovers are part of the family experience! A relationship with them outweighs the mess! Festive family dinners now have a plastic or for this Easter a nice paper tablecloth. If spills happen no problem, the surface doesn't matter! Making alternatives that work for family or social situations help to survive annoying occurrences. At work, I love my quiet time at lunch especially when I sit outside on my special bench watching people go by in the warmer months. It would be more exciting to be downtown, what an experience that would be. But my alternative is small town watching people come and go from the hospital. Sometimes a colleague who likes the same conversation joins me! If one does not like their job, what's the alternative? To be out of work or perhaps time for a home business? Or even retirement! Turning the ideas or thoughts in another direction allow the realization that the alternative may not be what is wanted. For example, I am much neater than my husband, always have been. But many years ago, I decided my house will never be as neat as I want it to be! I would rather have him, than an immaculate home! Tidy, clean but with messy corners!  So as you go through your day with all it can bring which often for human beings include complaints! Wake up and ask "What's the Alternative?" It may surprise everyone that it not what would be needed or wanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment