Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, February 23, 2011

OUR FAMILY ROOTS


Family Day was celebrated in several provinces of Canada on Monday, February 21. It is a much needed winter break- another stat holiday and time off from work. Family can be a positive force in our lives, knowing where we belong. It can also have detrimental effects if there are unresolved family conflicts. As the family genealogist it is always interesting how there are themes throughout the generations that prevail. The number of children, baby losses, divorce, commitment to parents and the urge for change can transcend the years. Regardless of what our roots reveal, knowing about our own history is very grounding allowing us to know in this generation how our ancestors shaped us. My love of books, curiosity about history, crafts, and the need to complete my education were part of my family roots. What did you learn from your ancestors? Even connecting with cousins and second cousins can reveal the themes. For example, my cousin Roy and I seem to love photography. Was there a common ancestor that shaped this love for us?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm ... maybe my father influenced me ... we certainly shared that interest while he was in his later years. Even had the same Pentax model for awhile.

    ReplyDelete