Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, February 2, 2011

WILL THE GROUNDHOG SEE HIS SHADOW?




Probably unlikely with the snow conditions today on the Eastern Seaboard. That little rodent also known as a woodchuck or marmot will try to predict how long it is to Spring. Punxsutawny Phil in Punsxutawney, Pennsylvania: Brandon Bob in Manitoba, Shubenacadie Sam in Nova Scotia or Alberta's Balzac Billy may just want to stay in their comfortable homes. Perhaps our Wiarton Willie in Bruce County, Ontario may give it a shot but somehow I doubt it. Interesting tradition that goes back to Germanic roots and animalism in Europe. It was a way to try to predict when to plant the crops. Now it is a fun day with many communities having winter festivals around the date. To all the Groundhogs everywhere, Happy Groundhog Day!!!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Barb. But, I don't think I'll see my shadow today.

    ReplyDelete