Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, May 29, 2014

THE IVORY TOWER-WHO WORKS HARDER THE BOSS OR THE WORKER

Do you like the expression that some people live in an ivory tower is it ivy tower? The bosses do not know what the workers are doing. Shows like undercover boss are fun because they show the bosses trying to do the simple job that is not so simple of the employees in their companies. But people that run places have huge responsibilities. Accountable to funders, investors and the general public, when the little cog in the wheel breaks it affects the whole company or business. I see it every day in my job- someone does not smile, does not have the right answer, does not jump when a family member demands- well you get the picture. A complaint or poor patient satisfaction! The best workplaces whatever they are have the best teams. People doing their own job well and having the back of their colleagues as well as the boss! Keeping the leaders in the loop about important issues like workplace safety, discrimination, harassment, others not pulling their weight etc. Along with the boss working at the worker level, it would be fun to see a worker trying to run the whole show. Have you ever been somewhere where a person had a promotion and the old buddies now are complaining and demanding to the new boss? In one of my management positions, it happened to a new supervisor who discovered that very notion! My advice was if you are damned if you do and damned if you don't then just do! Workplaces can be friendly and efficient but no one goes to work to make friends with everyone. Getting along, respect and mainly well- earning a pay cheque are important! Actually respecting everyone's jobs and what is contributed to the overall place goes without saying. Stop looking at what someone does and think- that person does not work as hard as I do! Take me for example, I just do. I don't grumble, complain, constantly talk about how busy I am and how tired I am so of course it may look like well I am not working as hard as the others. While someone is grumbling about the workload, I am quietly just doing what I am paid to do! Like most workplaces some days are busy nuts and other days have a manageable flow. Of course the Friday before a long weekend is always busy with at least one crisis or two. So looking at that tower remember someone is assessing the pay rates, benefits and vacation complement so just do and act like you really do deserve more!

No comments:

Post a Comment