Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, September 6, 2011

NANA SAYS GRADE ONE IS LOTS OF FUN

My granddaughter starts Grade One today. Everyone has been concerned that after Kindergarten is so much tougher with homework and a long day. We all went to Grade One at some point in our lives. I remember my Grade One teacher- Mrs. Morehouse at Pelmo Park Public School in North York. She seemed so old at the time. However, she was so gentle and sweet. I don't remember her yelling or centering out any children. I learnt to read and really enjoyed school. The teachers in the younger grades must have the patience for the range of differences in ability and academic knowledge. Some children are reading well and others are just getting started. To blend all those children together and help the class emerge is a huge responsibility. Here's to all the Mrs. Morehouses out there! Do you remember your Grade One teacher? Did you like school?

1 comment:

  1. Teachers do have a tremendous effect on our lives. I remember my first grade teacher. It was a one room classroom and I was in grade one. One fall day, while she left the school for lunch somewhere, all the kids filled the schoolroom with leaves, about a foot deep. She was not impressed! My HS biology teacher, Mr. Doyle,was the one who inspired me to go to university and become a biology teacher. But, I kept going and got my PhD and later got a government job. I did teach courses at the university, while professors were away on sabbatical leave.

    ReplyDelete