Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, March 16, 2021

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS- CORTLAND THE TRAIN CONDUCTOR

 My paternal grandfather Cortland Alton worked for the railroad as a conductor.

Cortland Alton.

Cortland in uniform.

Family pictures show him by trains. 

He met my paternal grandmother Leonie Violet Parkin in Lindsay where he was stationed.

There is so much railroad history about trains in this part of Canada. It would be a good area to research.


I found this ad for the Grand Trunk Railway in the Watchman(1888), 11 Jun 1896, pg. 6.

This railroad predates CN.

I wish I had more pictures of Cortland in uniform. He and my grandmother lived in Toronto for a while then moved to Belleville Ontario. 

They both died there in the 1940s and are buried in the cemetery there.

There is more to this story that I will write at at future date.

#cortlandalton#railroadinLindsayontario#grandtrunkrailroadinlindsay#travellingbytrain#canada'shistoryoftrains#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro

No comments:

Post a Comment