Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, August 27, 2019

SUMMER READING- ACCOMPLISHED TEN BOOKS READ AND MORE

So for the last few years I have a summer goal of reading 10 books. Making myself enjoy the summer becomes easier when reading is in the mix. I had some Indigo gift cards so used them to buy some books and perused my own bookshelf to read those books waiting for me. I love buying books but sometimes have more books than books that have been read.

I started this P.D. James book a couple of years ago and put it down. Book finally completed for my summer reading project. She is an author that has been so prolific. I have read many of books over the years.

Gift from the Sea was written for another generation by Anne Morrow Lindbergh and still has relevance for this modern generation of women. I gave copies to my daughters for Mother's Day.


An Ocean of Minutes- more of a science fiction but an okay read by Thea Lim.


Based in England, Jenny Colgan wrote the Bookshop on the Shore.

Ellen Keith's The Dutch Wife gave some fictional insight into the dilemmas of World War Two.


The Ripple Effect by Greg Wei. One of those how to live your life with some simple changes and steps. Similar to other books of that nature that I have read in my life. I had to return it to the Library so it could not remain on my pile.
And added to the bottom Washington Black by Eri Edugyan- Giller Prize winner. Book about some insights to slavery and how one person lived and survived.

The in between books that needed to go back to the Library. Some Toronto history pictorial books, one day in August by O'Keefe about a different version of why Dieppe occurred, theatres in Toronto all needing to go back.




The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews.
Okay. Fast read.


A Gift for Dying by M.J. Arlidge- fast easy mystery read. Not fussy about the ending. I checked the local library and more of his books are there. So will take out now rather than buy.



Daydreams of Angels- short stories by Heather O'Neill. Most of the stories were fun to read. Gave me some clues of how to enrich the short stories I am writing.

The Hidden life of Trees-Peter Wohlleben- an amazing factual book about the effect trees has on our lives and why we need them. His book reveals the secret world of trees.

Another trip to the Library yielded some war history books for my research into my Dad's war story, what can be done about health care- Better Now and the stress on working parents and being caregivers- Something got to Give.


So active reading of novels, non-fiction and some research books was my summer reading.
I am glad I started to go the Library again. When I see a book featured online or in the paper I check the local library, if there write down the call number. So when I go, I have a number of books I want to take out.
Besides being a pensioner, always wiser to limit the number of books bought now.
How about you? What did you read??
#summerreading#pdjames#heathero'neil#mjarlidge#peterwohlleben#warstories#ellenkeith#jennycolgan#esiedugyan#miriamtoews#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro#goalofreadingtenbooksoverthesummer#usingthelibraryagain#buyingbooksisexpensive#readingisagiftoflife

No comments:

Post a Comment