Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, December 13, 2013

CANADIAN CHRISTMAS IMAGES AND MEMORIES

Christmas evokes many images and memories for all of us. There are cultural traditions. There are family traditions. Many people from other parts of the world have brought their traditions that now blend with Canadian traditions. My husband did not do much on Christmas day in Italy. Since coming to Canada in the late 1950s his Italian group have adapted to presents under the Christmas tree and other traditions that they have forgotten they were Canadian traditions in the first place!! So what memories do you have of your childhood Christmases? For me it was the stocking filled with little goodies, a large delicious apple and a large orange? My mother grew up during the Depression of the 1930s in Canada so fruit was scare in the winter for her as a child. An apple and orange in her stocking would have been a treat so she carried on the tradition with us. Of course the Santa gift was always beside the stocking. Although my family really does not eat plum pudding, I need to buy a small one to have in the house to have a little taste on Christmas day. My mother would add some rum to the sauce so it was very flavourful! I always gave my children a stocking but Adolph did not grow up with the stocking tradition. It was not much fun giving him a stocking filled and he did not reciprocate. It came with little meaning for him so as a couple we did not do the stocking thing. Actually I miss it as most adults I know still do a stocking for each other. Just love to hear about those "stocking stuffers"! So I have the memory anyway! With my house nicely decorated and the tree up, the coziness of my home brings a sense of peace and joy. As a child I liked to sit by the Christmas tree with the lights which is something I still enjoy. Snuggled in a corner of my love seat, I can knit or crochet, read a book or quietly listen to music. There is that seasonal bliss that comes with the Christmas season. Even in stores seeing well decorated trees can be admired! Oh the memories and images-I could go on but perhaps in another post! How about you? What images does it evoke?

1 comment:

  1. Lovely Christmas dishes! And a great selection of treats to fill them! I imagine your home is very welcoming at this time of year (probably at any time of year!). Yes, your post evokes many good memories of Christmases past. My favourite present over the past few years has been a photo calendar from one of my kids. It includes photos from both Mike and Josi's families.

    ReplyDelete