Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A CANADIAN CHRISTMAS CARD-CARRY ON THE TRADITION

       
Many Christmas activities take thought and work. The Christmas card is one of them. However it is one I really enjoy doing because I love hearing from friends and family far and near. I have been writing my Christmas newsletter for the last few years as a few scribbled lines in a card really take more time and does not update everyone. Now with facebook and email much of what is written is already known by most of my contacts. There are a few people that do not use that social media so it gives the new information from the year in a little time capsule. One of my contacts is a 94 year old woman who lives in Portland Oregon that Adolph and I met on our honeymoon in Hawaii in 1971! A nice contact as she was kind when my girls were born-she made them a crib blanket from scraps of various Hawaiian fabrics. Her son wrote an email last year as his mom had misplaced our address but I had put the email address in the newsletter. He updated us about her! Rather sweet! The newsletter saved the day!
Then some old work mates that moved away-just nice to know what is happening. I always hope they would come to the GTA for a visit as I really would have them stay with me.
Of course, my proverbial letters to our Armed Forces around the world that get sent in mid-November. Can not be a closed card in an envelope so I write a nice letter on coloured paper that I fold and tape so they can peak inside to see-it's just a letter! Sometimes someone writes me back! I have always treasured those letters. I always think that someone serving somewhere may have had a moment of cheer from a friendly Canadian stranger who cares!
Of course all these letters are saved and printed the modern way. One written letter then printed in as many copies as needed! I always wished the word processer or computer had been around when I was job hunting in my youth.
I love the years when a family member will say I was too busy to write any Christmas cards this year. Funny as a busy working woman and both my girls have busy lives, we still manage to send out the cards. I actually find this younger generation are having family or just children photos that are sent as their cards. It seems they have embraced the whole Christmas card thing! Great for others to see their growing family. I always put those cards in with my Christmas photo album or really it is more like a scrapbook album!
So the debate to christmas card or not! Just send an email to one and all! Just a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year on Facebook! Sometimes a friendly phone call is good too! But it really does take more work and time!
So what are you doing? Do you still like to receive cards from others? For the record I sent mine already. They had been written earlier in the season but I waited until December to have a December postmark on the envelope. I did not want to look too organized or keen! So we will keep it as our little secret!

1 comment:

  1. Check your email box for my annual Christmas newsletter.

    ReplyDelete