Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, December 30, 2013

LIFE IS LIKE THE AFTERMATH OF AN ICE STORM WITH THE ICE ON THE BRANCHES MELTING EVENTUALLY

The ice storm gave some moments of reflection. Many areas with tall trees with large branchers snapped off  them, looked like a mini war zone! Tops of trees bent over. The fear that more snow or wind would topple the trees completely. Hanging on! People being very careful not to walk under the trees for fear of another branch crashing! Then on Saturday, warmer temperatutres brought some melting. Hearing the crackle and bits of ice falling everywhere. The trees and the branches started to recover and become tall again. Like life-we all have ice storms and some parts of us can break never to recover. Some parts laden with ice just keep holding on until the crisis passes. Times in our lives where we are dealing with a job loss-finances become a nightmare; watching a loved one die-our hearts are broken; children leaving home-the empty nest or health problem-waiting for the answer after diagnostics. Well the list of life could go one. It can feel like a terrible storm has struck us. As I watched the various trees and bushes in and around my house recovering slowly as the ice melted, a warmth returned to me. The broken branches will be cleared away to make the paths safe again. Spring will let us know how well the vegetation really fared! Life can many storms. How we weather our personal storms allow us to be human! Some people do succumb to one broken branch! Others cut the whole tree down hopping new shoots will come from the base and go on! Life is a tree with branches, a trunk and roots! I reflected on how many "personal storms" I have experienced in my life. Starting in childhood to the last few years! Yes I have several broken branches-dreams not met but other parts of my tree are flourishing with the realization I am not sure how tall it will become. The seeds from my tree have flown with the wind so I am never sure what impact in life they have made. One thing I do know is that life does go on! The choice is-do you stay stopped in your tracks or do you pick yourself up and just keep growing!! How is your tree of life doing? Are you weathering your own personal storm right now? Can you wait until your ice melts and frees you up again?

No comments:

Post a Comment