Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, December 21, 2013

CHRISTMAS PHOTOGRAPHY TAKES PLANNING

Christmas photos take some planning and creativity. In the midst of present opening and eating and children running around photos may seem like they are easy to get but often not. The larger the crowd the harder it is to get everyone in one spot or willing to have the picture taken. Everyone has their strategy on trying to get the shots!!! I have learnt from my past mistakes. One year several of us wore a black sweater so in the picture we are merged as one big blob!! So a variety of colours between the same colour can distinguish each person. One of my daughters suggested several years ago to take the family shots between courses. Eat the dinner then pause for pictures before having dessert and coffee! It works as everyone is more willing after the tummies are full. Do you have a good spot with a fun background? Sometimes we use the fireplace and other times the living room couch with teddy bears in the background. I have a favourite shot of Adolph, the girls and me all holding a teddy bear.  Trying to get the grandchildren in one shot is like trying to herd cats! I have several Christmas hats so maybe yell everyone put on a hat and snap, snap, snap! So sometimes if I see all the grandchildren in one spot or area, quickly tell them-look at Nana and get a shot or two. Sometimes it is not easy to take adult pictures-two of my adult family can be a pain in getting their pictures. If there are several events happening, I try to make sure I get a picture with my husband, each of my girls, each grandchild alone and different family group shots. With a recent Sip n See and two family dinners approaching, I make an effort to keep track of what shots have not occurred! Actually the Christmas pictures started with the Santa Claus parade. For any photographer out there, the rule of thumb is take lots of pictures. For me as long as I have the preferred groupings it does not matter at which event it occurs! The girls are good with taking the annual Christmas pictures with an outside photographer so they are added to the scrapbooked photo album or added to a frame to see year round! So as a Nana I often grab a kid and say take my picture quickly! Although group shots are fun, those one on one with the loved ones in my life have meaning too. You see-I have some long range projects in mind. Each grandchild may get their own scrapbooked album from Nana one day in the distant future. I make sure Granpa has a photo with each grandchild too! I know it sounds lame but I often walk around family or other social events with my camera on my shoulder ready to click the photos as I see them! As any photographer can tell you that elusive 5 seconds to grab the camera and the moment has passed!! Digital lets us all take lots and edit or delete what we do not want! I often wonder during this season how many photos are occurring every minute or hour! Happy photographing and to all a good pose! Smile-let me take your picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment