Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, October 1, 2013

BABY BLANKETS-USING THE AFGHAN STITCH


It is always exciting to be expecting a new baby into the family. So the last few months creating some little and big blankets for the new one kept my hands busy during any down time. Using the crochet afghan stitch takes much longer than a simple quick crochet stitch. It is tighter and probable warmer for the baby. The yellow/green blanket in the background used some wool left over from my mother so the little one will have something from the great-grandmother. The blanket in the foreground shows some of the detail-an embroidered flower in pink and purple- a little abstract and imperfect for a reason! One corner of the blanket has 5 little butterflies- 3 blue and 2 pink to represent the family. Another corner has two pink stars!  Of course some simple little hats for the little ones's head! The smaller blankets can be used in the stroller or in the car. All are easy to wash! There is something earthy about making blankets for me. Blankets represent warmth! My grandchildren have all used the items made over the years. If they wear them out then I can make more for them. My house has homemade knitted and crocheted blankets everywhere. There are also material quilted ones. Recently I made a pretty blue and white crocheted blanket for a friend of my daughter! A handmade item gives permanence to life! Crafts connect us with other generations!

1 comment: