Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, October 13, 2013

A POSTCARD FROM CARMAN MANITOBA-THE HEARTLAND OF CANADA


My cousin Roy sent me this postcard from Carman, Manitoba. He lived there for several years as it was an ideal location for his private business. Located just south of Winnipeg, Manitoba, the joys of being in a small town but near a large city he could benefit from the advantages of both. I decided to do a little research on this quaint town. Actually there is a 36 page booklet that highlights the town's year round activities- the link is www.carmanmanitoba.ca
Some of the features are the speciality shops, the Hall of Fame that features NHL players born there-Eddie "the eagle" Balfour and Jim McFadden, historical buildings such as the Boyne Regional Library and Memorial Hall constructed in 1919, and of course the people- all 2,900 of them! Small town Canada has so much to offer. As many of you know that read my blog, Adolph and I take little jaunts to communities in and around the GTA as well as overnight trips. Too far for one of our short trips, Carman, Manitoba would make a wonderful day trip for those living in Winnipeg. However, for anyone planning one of those across Canada trips one day, why not detour to this friendly little town. For Americans coming to Canada, it is only 60 miles north of North Dakota. The town has so many of those Canadian features that Canadians coast to coast offer. I like that the local United Church has a Fall supper on October 13, 2013. It is a reminder of my youth. Our local church-  Carville United Church that is now part of Hope United always had a Turkey dinner in October!
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Barb. Actually went out to Carman today to pick up Marg's Aunt Lil (Trombla) to drive her to Marg's family Thanksgiving near Poplar Point. Most of the field work out that way is done, except for corn and sunflowers. Hope you had/will have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete