Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, August 18, 2013

A POSTCARD FROM FORT GEORGE-NIAGARA AREA

Historic Fort George located in the Niagara area was a significant fort during the War of 1812. It was the home of Brock. Captured by the Americans in 1813, it was recaptured by the British. According to the staff about 300 visitors or more explore the fort daily. During the Bicentennial celebrations in 2012, there were over a million visitors. As a tourist attraction it has become more appealing due to the celebrations of the War of 1812 which actually ended in 1814. Both the Americans and the Canadians claimed victory.


A Canadian history lesson is always welcome. Adolph and I enjoyed visiting the site on one of the hottest days of the summer. He kept inside the air conditioned buildings while I walked around taking photos. It was rather amusing when we had bought our tickets when a staff person asked me if I had visited Fort George previously. I replied-yes! What I did not tell her was how long ago. It was during a Grade 8 class trip when I was 14! The thing with historical sites is they do not change! It is a time that stands still!
The Niagara area is rich in history. It is very easy to visit with all the monuments and historical plaques and signs. Exposing young children to their past helps with understanding the present!
If you want a postcard featured here email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. History is written by the victors (usually).

    Very wise of Adolph to explore in air-conditioned comfort!

    ReplyDelete