Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, June 24, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM WOODBINE-CELEBRATING THE QUEEN'S PLATE

Each year in the Toronto at the Woodbine Racetrack, there is the running of the Queen's Plate. A tradition for over 100 years. I have attended a few Plates as they are known.

Woodbine was the original name for the track in the East End of Toronto. When the track was built by the airport and called Woodbine, Greenwood became the name of the original one. Eventually it was closed due to the lack of need for two tracks. It had become harness racing and not thoroughbred racing.

Adolph and I have been fortunate to attend several Queen's Plate in the Clubhouse when he was in business. He often was given tickets which we could use. We attended when the Queen Mom came in 1985 and Prince Andrew and Sarah in 1987. If a member of the Royal Family is not in attendence then either the Governor General of Canada or the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario attend in a horse driven carriage.

We have not been for several years so it is exciting as Adolph was given tickets by his girls for Father's Day. They are grandstand tickets so I do not need to wear a hat as one does in the Clubhouse. After perusing my collection of programs from previous plates I found the one from 1990.

I take a little betting money. Adolph reads the Forum and handicaps the horses. Me- $2.00 on a long shot is what I like. I always hope to break even.

Since it is the Queen's Jubilee year, there will be some additional activities. Perhaps I will tell you in another post or not!

If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm surprised that you never explained why it's called the Queen's Plate. Although, I suppose, I can guess.

    ReplyDelete