Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, June 17, 2012

A POSTCARD FROM FORT GEORGE NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE ONTARIO CANADA


June 18 marks the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812. A war lasting two years between the new United States of America and the British North American colonies later to become Canada.


Fort George was a strategic fort in the Niagara area. These postcards are from a class trip in 1964 as part of our Canadian history teaching. The navy hall museum shown is famous because Governor Simcoe held the First Parliament in Upper Canada there in 1792. I have driven past this historic place many times on trips to Niagara Falls.
Anyone interested in the War and the current celebrations planned for 2012 can visit a variety of websites for the Niagara Area.
I actually bought a book by Ronald J. Dale- Invasion of Canada-Battles of the War of 1812. It is available through major bookstores and may even be in your library. Lots of easy script and pictures!
In Toronto, we have Fort York- another significant site. Adolph and I plan a day trip there this summer. Apparently it has the largest collection of the War of 1812 artifacts. Consider Ottawa and Halifax for other sites to visit!
Why would we celebrate an anniversary of a War? Remembrance! Think about it! We are good neighbours with the Americans and 200 years of friendship! Not to glorify but know the heartaches of war and continue to aim towards a world of peace!
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com and I will send you my address so you can send me a postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment